heather's adventures in the Big City

Thursday, July 21, 2005

a second to breathe and an internet connection to use

i'm paying out the nose at the moment to use the internet connection at my apartment building, but signing up for t-mobile hotspots since the free wifi cafes aren't as plentiful as one would have hoped in this city. there's free internet in the parks, but it hasn't been nice enough to go to the parks lately.

anyhow, the stifling humidity (much closer to 100% than to 90%) that has been making me wretched since friday finally broke yesterday. everyone was complaining that it was just too hot yesterday, but hot i can handle.

today i get to go in a little late because i'm going down to nyu to see my advisor participate in a panel on... i can't remember precisely what it's on, but it's likely on weapons of mass destruction and terrorism. then we're going back to the office and having more meetings! i've been assigned a sort of broad-sweeping research question to compile while i'm here and present before i leave in september. it's a hard question (dealing with wmd verification processes for bioweapons and the question of whether there should be a code of conduct for those in the life sciences. this brings up more questions about living in the post-cold war era and whether we should return to a more pre-cold war era since the current political situation is much less stable and predictible than it was then) and it will take a lot of time to work out. glad i've got 2 months.

i'll also be here for the september summit. you know, when the heads of the 191 member states arrive to meet and chat and try to fix the world. i anticipate increased security for the 2 or 3 weeks leading up to that. i could be wrong, but it's unlikely.

2 Comments:

  • Ahhhh, humidity! I have been complaining about the 104 degree temps here, but I am sure glad I ain't in NY or DC! Ewwwww....

    Your project sounds super cool. Remember my one venture into WMD research? I wrote a paper on corporate responsibility in the current era. And now you are researching a code of conduct for scientists? Hmmmm - sounds interesting. Do I get to read/hear about it once you are done?

    Miss you tons.

    By Blogger Yaymee, at 11:12 AM, July 21, 2005  

  • re: "I could be wrong but it's unlikely"... I LOVE that you are so honest. Now, if I could just get everyone to drive like me, the world would be a much better place (for me, anyway). JUJU.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:22 AM, August 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home