heather's adventures in the Big City

Friday, August 26, 2005

3 people in new york

1. this morning, i got on the elevator to go to the dining room in my apartment/dorm/convent. it was slightly full (nowhere near its capacity of 16, but i wouldn't get on it if it had over 10 anyway. i digress), but there was plenty of room for all. all being me, the only person who got on the elevator on that floor.

it went down one floor, and 2 more people got on.

down yet one more, and 2 more people got on. at this point, i moved slightly left so that they could get on the elevator. the sweater i had draped over my arm, brushed the elbow of the woman next to me. when i say, brushed, i really mean that. i'm not trying to make myself seem affronted.

the woman gasped in abject horror and recoiled, practically leaping through the fake wood paneling to the shaft outside.

this is NEW YORK. there are millions and millions of people here. sometimes they're gonna bump into you. GET OVER IT.

2. i went into the bathroom on the first floor of my building. it's a very low-traffic bathroom for this building. a woman was washing her hands. i went to the mirror to arrange my hair situation, and she started drying her hands under the automatic hand dryers. i pulled out some lip gloss, and she went back to wash her hands again. then she went back to the dryers. i was in there for under 3 minutes, and she washed and dried her hands FIVE TIMES. who knows how long she was there before i got there, or after i left, but it made me vow to never again complain about my own OCD tendencies.

3. back to the elevator in my building. i was waiting for an elevator to go down. the elevator opened, someone got out, and i made a move toward the open door. the woman inside said, "going up?" i said, no. i never crossed the threshold of the elevator, and mind you SOMEONE GOT OUT ON MY FLOOR. the woman (about 60 years old) said, "well, thanks for wasting my time, b****."

ah... why do i like it here again? that's right, the cupcakes...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home